Coronavirus (Covid-19): 25 March update
Good afternoon all
Here’s our latest update. Thank you to everyone who is sending us their information, we are hoping to start developing a way for you to upload details of your current services so that you can keep them as up to date as possible. More details on that to come as soon as possible
- Latest Government Update
- West Sussex County Council update
- Adur and Worthing Council update
- Brighton and Hove City Council Update also The latest Brighton and Hove City briefing is here City Briefing 19 including information on how to protect the vulnerable from scams.
Charity Sector Specific updates
- Latest government guidance for the charity sector (spoiler it doesn’t talk about a specific package of support for charities) Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance for the charity sector
- Key workers: what does this mean for charities? from NAVCA
- #EveryDayCounts NAVCA is calling charities to write to your MPs, telling them how much financial pressure the VCS is under.
- 71 Sources of Charity Emergency Funding by The Charity Excellence Framework
- Arts Council England (ACE) have just announced £160m worth of emergency funding for arts organisations. £90m will be available to existing grantees, £50m to organisations not getting regular funding from them, and £20m for individuals. They expect to be open for applications shortly here.
- There are two new ways to donate nationally or locally to charities during the crisis www.totalgiving.co.uk/appeal/sussexcrisisfund and www.nationalemergenciestrust.org.uk/coronavirus/
- GoodSam & NHS Volunteers: As many of you know, the NHS has launched an appeal for an army of volunteers, and hundreds of thousands have already signed up. We will be working to try and ensure that this programme links with the incredible work already being developed by you all, again we’ll keep you posted on ways in which you can get involved
- Volunteering Matters has developed some useful guidance on How to Volunteer Safely: Volunteering Matters
- Do you have volunteers or staff you could re-purpose to help? Local schemes in Adur and Worthing are seeking volunteers who currently work or volunteer with existing organisations (who have a DBS and some basic safeguarding training) to undergo training as telephone befrienders and be assigned one or more vulnerable older people to phone each week – please let us know if you have staff or volunteers who might be able to do this.
- COVID-19: guidance for residential care, supported living and home care
- Guidance for providers of safe accommodation with support for victims of domestic abuse and their children.
- COVID-19: guidance for educational settings
- Safeguarding Factsheet: Community volunteers during COVID-19 outbreak
- Government launches Coronavirus Information Service on WhatsApp
- COVID-19: guidance for hostel or day centres for people rough sleeping
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) helpline
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): guidance on business support grant funding
Updates from you:
- Possability People Advice Centre: Staff are now working remotely but the telephone advice line and email are operating as usual. They continue to be able to offer benefits advice and support including form filling, either by telephone, WhatsApp or Zoom. Please note the Benefits Support Group (first Friday of the month) is postponed until further notice. For advice call 01273 89 40 50 or email
- Latest news from Sussex Clubs for Young People
- Green Tides – Adur and Worthing Green Spaces Partnership: Some interesting tips and advice for those looking to get outdoors during isolation / social distancing
- Community Roots: Mental Health and Wellbeing Support in Brighton & Hove
- Mind West Sussex – have developed virtual support and are asking people to phone or email to access help –
- Turning Tides are adapting their support and services for homeless people in Adur and Worthing
- Adur and Worthing Council – is developing a neighbourhood-based approach with central contact points to identify people who need additional support – more information to follow
- Worthing Foodbank is closing temporarily, and will re-open in April when they have re-established safe operating procedures in the light of Coronavirus
- Jump Start Jonny– Worthing Based kids keep fit celebrity used in Primary schools for bitesize keep fit activities
- For people with Learning disability to connect with each other and Brighton and Hove Speak Out
- For people with Aphasia
- Disability Pride Facebook Friends group for people with all disabilities and impairments – as well as for their carers, families and friends.
- Worthing Coronavirus (COVID-19) Support Network
- Covid19 Heroes Worthing
- Worthing Covid Support Group
- Creative isolation by The MARCH Network. Home-based, creative ways to support mental health during these unique and uncertain times.
- FREE Webinar: Disabled People Working From Home, 11.00 am, Thursday 26 March 2020. Book now!
Digital Brighton and Hove:
- 15-min Zoom/tel chat to get help working remotely (tools, setup, etc.) – email: email@example.com
- 1h FREE digital advice for charities with Citizens Online trusted partners at Catalyst.
- How to articles and practical guidance for charities: simple steps for how to use video conferencing tools like Zoom, Skype and Google Hangouts. Produced by Catalyst.
- This live doc is useful to find out what other charities across the country are doing re switching their service delivery to digital (if you don’t know where to start)
- Access to local digital experts & matchmaking needs/offers of support Tech for Good Brighton Slack workspace.
- This page has loads more free resources, discounts to video calling solutions, guides etc.
- Sign up here to get weekly updates/new resources/etc…
- Always possible has produced a newsletter with some useful information for educators and businesses
Stay safe everyone
Community Works team
Please see our Coronavirus Covid-19: Latest information and what you can do hub page for more information.
NEXT | Coronavirus (Covid-19): 24 March update