Useful resources which will help you to strengthen your governance:
- the Resource Centre’s information for small groups on management committees
- the Charity Commission’s essential trustee guidance (PDF)
- the Charity Commission’s trustee induction pack
- The Charity Commision’s 5-minute guides for charity trustees
- the Charity Governance Code
- the living values pocket guide for trustees
- the Association of Chairs support for chairs
- The Governance App is a way for trustees to review and improve their governance together
To ensure a range of skills, diversity of thinking and representation from all sections of the community on our boards and committees, it’s important we advertise beyond our usual networks. For more ideas on how to recruit and where to advertise, try:
- advertising with us
- Trustee Recruitment Cycle – guidance, tools and tips to help you recruit trustees and diversify your board
- our information sheet (PDF) on how and where to recruit
- Getting on Board‘s resources on recruiting openly for a diverse board of trustees
As well as advertising trustee roles, we can help you to develop role descriptions and help with other recruitment issues. See our Good Practice Guide or contact us to speak to our Volunteering Development Coordinator.
Come to our Trustee and Leadership Network to meet other trustees and learn with your peers on topics relating to governance.
Trustees’ Week is an annual event to showcase the great work that trustees do and highlight opportunities for people from all walks of life to get involved and make a difference. We hold Governance Advice Sessions to mark Trustees’ Week so be sure to book yourself or your trustees a place.
Trustees’ Week 2021 takes place in the week 1-5 November.
The Charity Governance Awards is a national initiative celebrating effective governance. You can enter in to one of 7 categories if you feel your board demonstrates great effective governance. Like local organisation MindOut who were a short list in the ‘Board Diversity and Inclusivity’ category in 2018.
If you would like help to make your governance more effective, get in touch with us on firstname.lastname@example.org.