Voice and representation
Representing the voluntary and community sector at a local level is a key part of our work. We ensure that our members’ voices and expertise are heard at a range of partnerships, boards, and informal meetings with key people across the local area.
Our members elect representatives from within our membership every two years to undertake this work and we co-opt additional reps as necessary.
Our sector representatives
The last election for representatives for Brighton and Hove took place in November 2016.
In September we will be launching the reps nomination process for 2018 and will inform you about this via our e-lists, website and newsletter.
- Your elected Reps May 2018 (PDF)
Help to become a representative
We have an informal shadowing programme for anyone within our membership who is considering standing in a future election or being co-opted.
The shadowing programme gives you the opportunity to meet existing representatives, observe meetings and learn more about the role of a representative.
To find out more about our informal shadowing programme get in touch on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01273 234023
Key principles for representation
Our representatives work is framed and informed by our key principles for representation (PDF).
These principles speak to a range of stakeholders in the city and promote the unique strengths that the sector has to offer.
They also act as a platform for influencing, a basis for creating policy statements in priority areas and an opportunity to identify interests shared with public sector organisations and local businesses.
We gathered our members views through a number of workshops and through our 2014 members survey. This input shaped five evidence gathering, discussion documents which are organised by our network themes:
- Theme 1 Communities (Draft 1) March 2014 (DOC)
- Theme 2 Volunteering (Draft 1) March 2014 (DOC)
- Theme 3 Small Groups (Draft1) March 2014 (DOC)
- Theme 4 Commissioning (Draft 1) March 2014 (DOC)
- Theme 5 Children and Young People (Draft 1) March 2014 (DOC)
To find out more about our representation work get in touch on email@example.com or 01273 234023
Small groups and charities
We greatly value the work and impact of small groups and charities locally, and also recognise that they have unique support needs. We’ve worked with our small groups network to develop a position statement which describes what a small group is, and what they need to help them to grow:
Feedback from our representatives
Our representatives provide feedback from the meetings and events they attend on behalf of our members.
Recent feedback includes:
- Health Overview and Scrutiny Committee 20 July 2016 (PDF)
- Neighbourhoods Communitites and Equalities Committee 11 July 2016 (PDF)
- Strategic Houisng Partnership 10 May 2016 (PDF)
- Safe in the City Partnership meeting 5 April 2016 (PDF)
- Neighbourhoods Communitites and Equalities Committee 14 March 2016 (PDF)
- Issues around Lewes Road, London Road and the Level, 26 November 2015 (PDF)
- Neighbourhoods Communitites and Equalities Committee 23 November 2015 (PDF)
- Safe in the City Partnership, 8 October 2015 (PDF)
- Homeless (Better Care) Operational Services Forum 30 September 2015 (PDF)
- Fairness Commission Update to members from Sally Polanski 28 Sept 15 (PDF)
- Local Safeguarding Children Board, 22 September 2015 (PDF)
- Homeless Integrated Care Board 15 September 2015 (PDF)
- Neighbourhoods Communitites and Equalities Committee 20 July 2015 (PDF)
- Advice Partnership Meeting 20 July 2015 (PDF)
- Strategic Housing Partnership 7 July 2015 (PDF)
- Public Health Reps update, July 2015 (PDF)
- Housing Rep report, April 2015 (PDF)
- Older People’s Rep report, April 2015 (PDF)
- Brighton and Hove Connected, 17 March 2015 (PDF)
- Safe in the City Partnership Meeting 16 March 2015 (PDF)
- Childrens Committee, 9 March 2015 (PDF)
- Advice Partnership, 25 February 2015 (PDF)
- Update on SEND Review (including joint Children’s Committee and Health and Wellbeing Board, 3 February 2015) (PDF)
- Housing Rep Feedback Report February 2015 (PDF)
- Integrated Homeless Board, 27 January 2015 (PDF)
- Brighton and Hove Connected, 16 December 2014 (PDF)
- Safe in the City Partnership Board, 16 December 2014 (PDF)
- Older People’s Council, 16 December 2014 (PDF)